Rent increase freeze
The rent increase freeze has been extended until July 10, 2021.
If you received a notice that your rent was set to increase on December 1, 2020, don’t pay the increased amount. Continue to pay your current pre-increase rent amount until July 10, 2021.
If your landlord does collect the increased amount between December 1, 2020 to July 10, 2021, you can deduct the additional amount from future rent payments.
Requirements for landlords
Landlords cannot combine 2020 rent increase and 2021 rent increases. The maximum rent increase amount in 2021 cannot exceed 1.4%.
When issuing a new notice of rent increase, a landlord must:
- Issue a new notice of rent increase form
- Rent increase notices set to take effect anytime between March 30, 2020 to July 9, 2021 are not valid
- Use the amount of 1.4% set for 2021
- Give the tenant no less than three full months before the notice takes effect. For example:
- If rent is due on the fifteenth of each month, notice must be given before April 15, 2021 and the first increased rent payment will be due July 15, 2021
- If rent is due on the first of each month, notice must be given before May 1, 2021 and the first increased rent payment will be due August 1, 2021
- Use the correct form: